YOUR HOME IN SAFE HANDS
We know that when work needs doing in your home, you need to feel confident that the trader you choose will offer quality workmanship and a professional approach.
To help you find the right fit for your project, we have a dedicated ‘Find a Member’ on our homepage.
Communication is key to ensuring an efficient service and achieving the required finish.
Agree on a start date (weather permitting for external work) and liaise with your decorator on colour, finish and preparation required, then decide who will purchase paint or wallpaper to be used.
When choosing wallpaper, ensure you have the correct amount and each roll has a matching batch number to prevent differences in shading. You will also need to buy the correct adhesive and may require lining paper. If the wall covering is faulty, immediately ask the contractor to stop work and refer back to the supplier.
It’s important to ensure any previous work (electrics, structural work, joinery, plastering), have been completed before the painter is due to start.
Continue to liaise with your decorator throughout the project and raise any concerns. It is much easier to resolve issues at the point they arise rather than wait until the job is complete.
We advise you to follow these simple steps:
- Use a PDA Member – all our Members adhere to our Code of Practice and must meet our membership criteria. We have a dedicated ‘Find a Member’ facility on our homepage and you can also call Head Office to see how long they have been in membership.
- Approach three separate companies to compare price and service
- Always ask for a written quotation and ensure all aspects of the job are included
- Do not cut corners to save on cost. You will not achieve the best results
- If you wish for further works to be carried out during the project then this will affect the final cost and you should receive a revised quotation to reflect these changes
- Expect to pay a small fee upfront. Do not pay for the whole project at the start. Agree on the payment stages at the start of the project and uphold these if you are happy with the work.
- At the end of the project if there is a problem with the workmanship, do not pay the final fee and contact the PDA
Mediation, Conciliation and Arbitration Service
Occasionally things can go wrong on a job. If you have an issue with a PDA Member, the Association can provide free mediation, which aims to reach an amicable solution for both parties.
To speak to a member of our team about a problem, please contact us at Head Office.
All enquiries will be treated with confidence until agreed otherwise.
PDA Home Decorating Guides
Banner image – Albany Paint Chester Green, picture courtesy Brewers