The UK’s largest trade body dedicated to the painting and decorating sector has set out its key events for 2023.
We [the PDA] host the flagship Premier Trophy Awards at Plaisterers’ Hall, London, each year as well as a series of competitions that showcase the skill and talent of apprentices starting out in the industry,
Our national body also holds a networking event for our Members and supports events held by our Associate Partners, UNIEP and partners within the wider construction industry.
One of the first important dates for 2023 is the closing date for entries into the Premier Trophy Awards.
The awards celebrate excellence in the sector across seven categories:
- Decorative: this could include the use of conventional coatings, spray work, paperhanging, and projects with a colourful design.
- Highly Decorative: this could include the use of conventional coatings, wood stains, wall coverings and specialist decorative techniques and specialist finishes such as gilding, marbling, graining and artwork.
- Sole Trader/Small Contractor: this represents the vast quantity of work carried out in small domestic and small contracts area. For this award you should be a company with no more than seven employees.
- Residential: this includes domestic dwellings, housing association contracts, apartments, student accommodation etc.
- Commercial: this includes offices, leisure centres, hotels, retail outlets, education and health establishments.
- New Build: this category is where at least 70% of the work is on new surfaces that have not been painted or coated before using conventional coatings, wall coverings and spray work.
- Industrial: this could include the use of conventional and high-performance coatings to transport infrastructures and works or premises.
The Supreme Winner will be chosen from the seven category winners by the judges.
Any bona fide UK painting and decorating business can enter a project into the awards. Entry forms are available here and the closing date for entries is 13 January.
The awards will be presented at a glittering luncheon at Plaisterers’ Hall, London, on 6 July.
The winners of our annual Apprentice of the Year competition are also announced at the Premier Trophy Awards and people studying for their Level 1 and Level 2 qualifications are invited to take part.
Entry forms can be downloaded here and the deadline to apply is 17 February.
The competition format is evolving this year, with heats taking place across the UK in March and April with a final scheduled for May.
Our Apprentice Paperhanger of the Year competition also returns for 2023, and the deadline to enter is 28 April.
The Paperhanger competition event will take place at Doncaster College on 20 June.
Both Apprentice competitions are open to Level 1 and Level 2 Apprentices from across the sector regardless of whether their employers are PDA Members.
The winners of the Apprentice Paperhanger of the Year competition are announced at our annual National Gala Dinner, which this year will take place on 14 October. A venue will be confirmed shortly and guests at the event can expect a mix of networking, celebration and socialising.
The event will include a drinks reception, three course meal with live entertainment and dancing, with the option to stay overnight.
Alongside industry competitions and networking, we will also begin the first year of recording for our new sustainability initiative, Paint Green.
Members are already signing up to the project, which encourages painters and decorators to drive down waste by utilising paint and paint container recycling schemes.
From March, PDA Members can take the Paint Green Pledge and start keeping a record of their achievements, which will be submitted to the Association to retain Paint Green status each spring.
A ‘setting up’ period is currently underway, following the launch of Paint Green at the National Painting and Decorating Show in 2022.
We will also return to the National Painting and Decorating Show at the CBS Arena, Coventry in 2023, taking a stand at the event which takes place on 21 and 22 November.
PDA Chief Executive Neil Ogilvie said:
“As the largest UK trade body dedicated to the painting and decorating sector, it’s important for us to have a presence at industry events such as the NP&D Show alongside hosting our own events and activities.
“We encourage PDA Members and partners across the sector and wider construction industry, to make note of the upcoming events for 2023 and consider how they might take part.
“Each of our planned activities has an important purpose, whether it’s showcasing the high level of skill and quality clients can expect from our Members, supporting and inspiring younger people entering the industry or giving painters and decorators the chance to make contacts within the trade and share experiences and knowledge.”
To find out more about the PDA, apply to join, or enter one of the competitions, visit our homepage: www.paintingdecoratingassociation.co.uk